Inhabitants: 1.223 Altitude: 1.382 s.l.m. Number of beds - in hotels: 2.084 - in other accommodation facilities: 3.622
Hamlets belonging to the municipality: San Giovanni, Tamion, Vallonga Etymology: Vigo, from the Latin word "vicus", village
Located in a high and sunny position that dominates the rest of the valley, Vigo di Fassa was during the reign of the Longobards the administrative and religious headquarter of the Val di Fassa. Even if almost destroyed in a fire in 1921, the village maintained its typical rural aspect, that can be seen in particular in the hamlet of Tamion. The Ladin Museum and the Ladin Cultural Institution have a fundamental role in preserving the Ladin tradition and spread it. Thanks to a modern cable car it is possibile to reach the Ciampedie valley 2.000 m) directly from the town, arriving on a spectacular natural terrace where to admire the Dolomites. The Ciampedie in summer is the ideal point of departure for hiking and climbing in the Catinaccio group, King Laurin’s reign; in winter it is the heart of the Catinaccio ski area, offering a great variety of slopes perfectly covered with snow. The Ciampedie is a paradise for children that can have fun in the open air and in all safety at the "Baby Park" play ground.