A weekend to be tasted, for real cheese lovers and even for foodies of all ages, in the valleys Fassa and Fiemme. From the 15th to the 17th of September, "Festival del Puzzone di Moena DOP" is back, and besides Moena, place of birth of the King of Trentino’s cheeses, it involves the villages of Soraga and Predazzo, too. Three days of festival that include: gourmet excursions, on foot and by bicycle, to discover the production sites; visits to the farmers' stables; aperitifs in the square; tastings; masterclasses with experts; starred show cooking; theatrical gala dinner; cheese-making demonstrations; workshops and treasure hunts for children. The most anticipated moments are the "Desmontegade", scheduled for Saturday, the 16th of September, in Soraga, and for Sunday 17th in Moena, when cows, sheep, and goats, adorned with flowers, come back from the alpine pasture with shepherds and breeders, parading along the village streets accompanied by music bands, folk groups, and local associations. For everyone, lunches and snack breaks in the square, with Ladin dishes and recipes, prepared by the Moena hoteliers' association.
Programme Puzzone Festival 2023 - Friday 15 September:
- 9 a.m. - From grass to table*. Puzzone di Moena DOP step by step. Incoming and round table reserved for experts and industry insiders. Participation by invitation only
- 5 p.m. in Soraga at the "La Gran Ciasa" community building - Cheese tasting: high altitude cheeses*. From Piedmont to Trentino, passing through Lombardy. A sensory immersion among 4 excellent DOP mountain cheeses that are part of the "LOST" project: Roccaverano, Murazzano, Strachitunt and, of course, Puzzone di Moena DOP. An unmissable appointment for true cheese lovers or simple gourmets, guided by an "ONAF" expert, paired with Trentino wines. In collaboration with Accademia d'Impresa. € 12 per person. Bookings online at www.visitmoena.it
- from the afternoon in Moena at the square "Piaz de Ramon" - "Casèl Village". An area entirely dedicated to the King of Trentino cheeses, protagonist of the festival, with tastings and traditional dishes. Organised by the Predazzo and Moena cheese factory
- from 5.30 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Moena at the square "Piaz de Ramon" - Happycheese & wine. The most famous mountain aperitif in the Dolomites returns to the square for a gourmet experience created by the chefs of Moena dedicated to the cheese that is the protagonist of the event, paired with fine Trentino wines from the "Tenuta Gottardi" winery or "La Trentina" apple juice. Also available in gluten free and vegetarian versions. Organised by the Moena events committee in collaboration with the Moena hoteliers' association and "Tenuta Gottardi" winery. € 11 for 3 finger foods + 1 glass of still wine or "La Trentina" apple juice; € 13 for 3 finger foods + 1 glass of Trentodoc
- 8 p.m. in Moena at the "Navalge" Theatre - Gala evening at the theatre. Gourmet dinner organised by the Predazzo and Moena cheese factory in collaboration with the students of the "ENAIP" Institute of Tesero, who will also compete for the awarding of 6 scholarships linked to the culinary enhancement of Puzzone di Moena DOP. To tie this exclusive experience to the festival, in addition to the themed menu, there will also be intriguing and engaging theatrical interludes dedicated to the world of cheese with the "La Pastìere" company. € 45 per person. Bookings online at www.visitmoena.it
Programme Puzzone Festival 2023 - Saturday 16 September:
- from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. - "Trekking of Puzzone di Moena DOP". A whole day, guided by an expert local guide, to discover Puzzone di Moena DOP, through 3 tasty stops from Moena to Soraga, where the desmontegada awaits, ending with the characteristic Someda. First tasteful stop at the El Mas farmhouse, which welcomes you with a "wow breakfast" of fresh milk, cheese, cured meats, homemade jams and bread and much more. From here, continue in the direction of Soraga for a dairy aperitif with the "Mèlga de Fascia" dairy, featuring local Trentino cheeses, wines and apples. This will be your front row seat to witness the return of farmers and animals from the alpine pastures, thanks to the traditional parade. It continues into the woods above the village for an open-air Ladin lunch with wines from the "Tenuta Gottardi" winery and good music from the group "The Others", before returning to the valley via the picturesque hamlet of Someda. It ends in the square of Moena with a tasty snack at the Puzzone village. € 40 adults, € 22 children up to 12 years (breakfast, aperitif, lunch and snack + guided hike + music + "La Trentina" gadgets). Limited number of participants with compulsory booking online at www.visitmoena.it
- all day in Moena at the square "Piaz de Ramon" - "Casèl Village". An area entirely dedicated to the King of Trentino cheeses, the star of the festival, with tastings and traditional dishes, games and workshops for children who will also be able to enjoy the company of our animal friends such as baby goats and calves. Organised by the Predazzo and Moena cheese factory
- from 10.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Soraga. "La Desmontegada" (cow parade). A genuine and exciting festival in which cows and horses, accompanied by local breeders, set off at dawn from San Pellegrino Pass to arrive in the village. While waiting for the parade along the main street (12.30 p.m.), immerse yourself in the good and beautiful things on the market of typical and handcrafted products, enjoy a tasty farmer's aperitif served on the ancient wooden cart, and then continue with the traditional typical lunch (from 12 noon). In the morning live cheesemaking with the "Mèlga de Fascia" dairy to discover the tricks of the trade, and throughout the day musical entertainment and performances by folk groups
- 4 p.m. in Moena at the square "Piaz de Ramon". Puzzone cooking show. Michelin-starred chef Paolo Donei in the kitchen to create an original recipe based on Puzzone di Moena DOP where Malga Panna tradition is mixed with innovation and culinary creativity. Free participation
- from 5.30 p.m. in Predazzo. Taste Train. All aboard, young and old, the Taste Train is leaving! On board its carriages we will visit the Predazzo countryside with its beautiful bio-lake and then enjoy a pit stop in one of the cowsheds where we will get to know the cows from which the milk used by the Predazzo and Moena cheese factory to produce the Puzzone di Moena DOP cheese comes. The milk chain continues with a second stop in the cosy Bistrò Shop & Bar of the cheese factory. Here a cheese guru, an "ONAF" taster, will take you on a real cheese tasting tour to discover the cheeses of the Predazzo and Moena cheese factory in the form of a tasty aperitif where the dairy products become the protagonists of intriguing pairings with local mustards and honeys and a glass of good Trentino wine. In collaboration with the Predazzo and Moena cheese factory and the Predazzo initiatives consortium. € 15 adults, € 12 children up to 10 years of age. Online booking at www.visitfiemme.it
- from 5.30 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Moena at the square "Piaz de Ramon". Full-beer aperitif. A traditional chic aperitif with tasty finger food made from local products and presented by the local producers and chefs of Moena, paired with "Rampeèr" craft beer made in Val di Fassa. All with an intriguing musical accompaniment. € 13 (finger food + 1 glass of Fassa craft beer); € 11 (finger food + a glass of "La Trentina" apple juice)
Programme Puzzone Festival 2023 - Sunday 17 September:
- from 10 a.m. in Moena at the square "Piaz de Sotegrava" - From milk to cheese. Our expert cheesemakers will once again be in the square to involve you, to the sound of tapping and churning, in the transformation of milk into cheese, butter and ricotta cheese. In collaboration with the Predazzo and Moena cheese factory
- all day in Moena at the square "Piaz de Ramon". "Casèl Village". An area entirely dedicated to the King of Trentino cheeses, the star of the festival, with tastings and traditional dishes, games and workshops for children who will also be able to enjoy the company of our animal friends such as baby goats and calves. Organised by the Predazzo and Moena cheese factory
- 10.30 a.m. in Moena at the square "Piaz de Sotegrava" -Traditional cutting of the 7 PDO cheeses . Arrival and cutting of no less than 7 wheels of Puzzone di Moena DOP from the producer dairies with the special participation of 7 young sports champions who for the occasion will become true standard-bearers of this dairy excellence. In collaboration with the consortium for the protection of Puzzone di Moena DOP and the producer dairies
- 11.45 a.m. in Moena, along the streets of the centre of Moena - "La Desmontegada" (cow parade). The great return of cows and other animals, which together with their breeders have spent the summer in the mountain pastures, parading festively through the streets of Moena accompanied by the town band, folk groups and various local associations
- from 12 noon in Moena at the squares "Piaz de Sotegrava" and "Piaz de Ramon" - Opening of the "Taste Squares" and "Casèl Village". Puzzone di Moena DOP will be the protagonist of Ladin dishes and recipes organised by the Moena Hoteliers' Association paired with Trentino wines from the "Villa Corniole" winery. At the square "Piaz de Ramon" there will also be a series of street food organised by the producers of Val di Fassa where you can also do your km0 shopping. New for this edition is the "Casèl Village", a space of taste and fun organised by the Predazzo and Moena cheese factory. All topped off with music and folklore
- from 12 noon in Moena. "At table with Puzzone di Moena DOP". In addition to lunch in the square, the gastronomic offer is completed by the many menus created for the occasion by the restaurants, holiday farms and malghe participating in the proposal "At table with Puzzone di Moena DOP". The cheese, protagonist of the festival, becomes a precious ingredient of traditional and innovative recipes that combine Ladin culture with love for the cuisine and territory. Discover the proposals dedicated to the festival of the restaurants, agriturismi and malghe participating in the initiative at www.visitmoena.it
- from 1.30 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Moena at the square "Piaz de Ramon" - Puzzone Kids Special. Area dedicated to the little ones with wooden games in XXL format, entertainment activities and children's make-up
*Initiative promoted within the "LOST" project, supported by the European Union, which sees Puzzone di Moena DOP as one of the 8 Italian excellences to be valorised in the markets.
Where to park: locality "Navalge" (limited and with fee), sports field (free of charge; about 15 minutes' walk from the centre; shuttle service with tourist train against payment); "carriage ride" in the centre of Moena (Sunday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.).