August 25, 2023 15:45
The life of the herdsman at sunrise is experienced on 25 and 26 August at Sasso Piatto Dairy
Summer 2023 sees the return of the #albeinmalga (At dawn in a mountain dairy), the initiative that allows visitors to experience the life of an alpine dairy farmer at sunrise, with milking of the cows, tidying up of the cowshed, care of the animals, collection of fresh eggs, and preparation of a breakfast based on local products. The second event takes place on 25 and 26 August at the Malga Sasso Piatto with an overnight stay at the Sasso Piatto Refuge.
Programme - Friday 25 August:
- 3.45 p.m. - meeting point in Campitello to take the cable car up to Col Rodella (2485 m)
- 6.10 p.m. - arrived at the top, we admire the spectacular panorama and then backpack on our shoulders and off we go, along the easy "Friedrich August" trail (no. 557-4) which leads, in about 2.30 hours, to the Sasso Piatto Plattkofelhütte (2300 m). On the way, led by our mountain guide, we will get to know the names of the peaks and, if we are lucky, catch a glimpse of some marmots or caress some passing goats, but also treat ourselves to a break in a beautiful playground at 2200 m altitude. Have you ever been swinging this high?
- 6.30 p.m. - here we are at the Sasso Piatto Refuge. Shoes and rucksacks off, we go to take our places for the night. We will all sleep in the company
- 7.30 p.m. - let's eat! Who knows how hungry we will be after this beautiful walk... Petra and Thomas will be able to satisfy the appetites of young and old with typical dishes
- 8.30 p.m. - we have visitors! Karl, the owner of Malga Sasso Piatto, comes to meet us and explains what awaits us tomorrow morning, but above all he bids us good night with some tales and anecdotes from his family. Who knows what life was like (and what it is like) as a child on the mountain pasture?
Programme - Saturday 26 August:
- 5.00 a.m. - wake up! It will be a bit tiring at first, but when will we ever see the sun rise from up here again? There will be time for sleep this evening
- 5.30 a.m. - lead by Karl, the dairyman, and his family, we will gather the cowshed for milking, directing them (with a shepherd's crook!) towards the mountain pasture where we are welcomed with a small foretaste of the breakfast (coffee, tea and pancakes) that awaits us later... but we will have to earn it!
- 6.00 a.m. - divided into small groups, we will experience first-hand the activities at the dairy, from milking to bread making, from butter making to pancake making. In the meantime, we can take a look at how milk is transformed into tasty cheese
- 8.30 a.m. - after a lot of work, there's a well-deserved break with a tasty breakfast in an alpine hut with fresh milk, fruit juices, jams, homemade and traditional cakes, pancakes, eggs, butter, cheese, bacon and other cold cuts, fresh bread (the one we will have made together)... and so on and so forth!
- approx. 9.30 a.m. - we pick up our rucksacks and set off again with the guide for the return hike, which includes two variants. In good weather conditions long hike on trail no. 4-594, mostly on a slope, to Duron Pass at 2200 m, then descent through Val Duron on trail no. 532 to Campitello (5 hours); in case of bad weather descent along trail no. 533 to Campitello (2.30 hours)
- approx. 3.00 p.m. (long hike) or 1.00 p.m. (short hike) - end of the experience... now you can also take a nap!
Price: 105 € for adults; 80 € for children from 6 to 12 years.
Price includes: lift ticket, dinner and overnight stay at the refuge, activities at dawn, breakfast, excursion with the mountain guide. Packed lunch on Saturday: possibility of purchasing it at the dairy in the morning.
Notes: participation is recommended for children from 6 years, well-trained; suitable clothing and hiking shoes. Activity limited to a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 24 participants. In case of bad weather conditions, the activity is cancelled the day before. Languages spoken: Italian and German.
Book your experience online
Fill in the form below with your details and make the payment.
Advance payment of the participation fee by credit card is required.
Cancellation policy: cancellation of the booking by the customer/participant at any time results in the loss of the paid participation fee, which will be retained in full by the organiser. The paid fee will also be retained in the event of a no-show by the customer at the place, day and starting time of the event determined by the organiser.
In the event of cancellation of the event by the organiser (due to bad weather or other organisational reasons), the participation fee will be refunded in full to the customer.