The cross-country skiing area between Campitello and Mazzin, which also includes the villages of Fontanazzo and Campestrin, is the ideal venue for skiers just starting out in the sport and for improver training sessions. The 17 km of tracks are organised in loops, with no particular obstacles or ascent-descent sections.
Cross-country ski area Mazzin - Campitello
|Name||Status||Opening hours||Snow depth||Length||Difficulty|
|Mazzin - Campitello - Mazzin||Closed||08:45-16:30 (orographic left)||14000 m||Easy|
Cross-country skiing in the smallest municipality of Fassa
Despite being located in the area of the world-famous Marcialonga, the historic international Nordic skiing competition held annually on the last Sunday in January, the slopes of Campitello and Mazzin all have a low level of difficulty. For the "bison" (as the participants are called), this stretch of the race allows them to catch their breath before the turnaround in Canazei, where the return to Cavalese begins.
The tracks are accessible free of charge from the village. They are located in a large, open and sunny area, which does not present any particular obstacles. The loops are all safe, and are compacted every day by the management staff. They are perfect for beginners, for less physically fit sports enthusiasts, and for muscle-relaxation sessions for pro skiers.
Until sunset, it is possible to ski the 2.5 kilometres of the "Rodolon" ring, between Campestrin and Fontanazzo: an almost romantic adventure, immersed in a sparkling panorama with the snow and the reflections of the Avisio torrent, which runs next to the track.
Short guide to cross-country skiing
- Plan your tour, wear the appropriate equipment, taking into account your technical skills and the weather conditions
- Adapt your skiing to the snow conditions, the visibility and the crowdedness of the slope
- Respect the signs and follow the right direction
- Follow the track on the right, if you are in a group proceed in single file
- Facilitate overtaking when possible
- Be careful on downhill slopes
- Stay off the tracks and the track
- In case of a fall, clear the track as soon as possible
- Help those in difficulty. In case of real need and for emergencies call 112
- Respect the environment, do not throw litter, tissues and gels
- Enjoy skiing, the view and the silence